Exterior makeover tips has always been a popular topic on DIY Projects. A lot of the most read articles on this blog include those about outdoor design. Even in the winter, readers seem to be planning their perfect outdoor retreat in their very own gardens. I do love gardening. It’s one of my top 2 hobbies. After finishing the extreme home makeover (well – almost) my thoughts turned to the garden and exterior of the house to see how I could make an impact. This article will show you some short, snappy exterior makeover tips you can do easily yourself as a diy project.
Exterior makeover tips
1. Add shrubs and colourful flowers to brighten up the space in front of your house – especially around paving or concrete.
Top Exterior Design Tip: you can hide holes in concrete and paving slabs with beautiful rockery plants that flower profusely.
2. If the outside of your house is painted in a dark colour, or you have dark paving slabs, try planting white flowers to give light to the area.
3. If you have no space at the front of your house to plant flowers, try erecting a small pergola and put a potted plant there to run up in the spring. Here’s an awesome pergola kit and stencil to make your job easy. Exterior design couldn’t be easier!
4. Replace your garage door with something more up-to-date and paint it in any one of these popular colours for front doors. It will add to the beauty of your property from the outside.
5. Add a porch to make the exterior of your house look more inviting. This will cost a bit more than the others, but you can get help from your local DIY shop if you ask them. These days they sell kits and stencils like the one in the link above so you can do all this yourself.
6. Cut down any over-grown shrubs and trees you may have. They make your house look like no one cares to upkeep it.
7. Make your front lights not only practical, but beautiful and eye-catching too. Attractive lights keep people interested in your house. These same people will be the ones that notice if something is amiss when you’re out of town.
8. Make pedestals and plant trailing plants in them. You can make them out of wood or buy the cheaper plastic ones, but I recommend something that will last for much longer. I bought some pedestals like these ages ago, and they’re still around long after I’ve changed the planting schemes over and over again.
9. Arches and rounded edges add elegance to the exterior of a home. If possible add them to your windows and door designs when you’re having them changed. For a cheaper option, you can buy stained glass window film in many different shapes and use them on your existing windows.
10. If you have steps, you can revive them with concrete paint. You’ll be surprised at the change that can make to your exterior makeover. Gray paint looks quite regal, but any light colour will do. This is another of my top exterior design tips because it’s quick, cheap, and easy to do!
11. Make the path to your front door stand out. Even if you can’t afford to pave the entire front area for the drive, make a the small area you can do look great. You can use block paving, crazy paving or good-quality pebbles.
12. Attach a new door knocker to your door.
We talked about front doors in a very popular article linked at the top of this post. See what difference it can make to your exterior makeover. Do you have any savvy suggestions to add to our exterior makeover tips?Please leave them in the comment section below so we can all benefit from your knowledge.
You can find more articles like this one on our exterior designs and tips page.