This tutorial shows you how to make a fabric picture easily, quickly and cheaply. Beautiful interiors do not have to come at a price or take ages to achieve. This site hosts a tremendous amount of ideas for stuff you can make for your home to improve the general appearance so once you’ve made your fabric picture, look around for some more splendid ideas you’ll have fun doing. Let me know how you get on, or send me a message if you’re having difficulty with this project.
How to make a fabric picture
What you will need (see thumbnail image above)
A piece of fabric (choose something that goes with your existing interior design)
A cheap picture frame (or use an old one you already have). You can get some strong, cheap ones from the link if you like.
Any kind of paste which is usable on fabric
Cost of job: £0.00 if you have an old picture frame. Otherwise you can purchase one for £1.00 from a charity or discount shop.
Duration of job: 20 minutes
Making your fabric picture
1. Take off the back of your picture frame. Then carefully remove the cardboard behind it, the picture, then the glass. You can discard the old picture or use the back of it if your old frame does not have a cardboard in it.
2. Put the glass, the empty picture frame and the cardboard to one side. You will need the back of your picture frame (the solid part at the back of the frame) next.
3. In order to get the right measurement for your fabric picture, place the back of the picture frame against the piece of cloth you wish to use. Measure and cut the cloth to exactly the same size as the back of the picture frame. When this is done, use a suitable glue to paste the fabric onto the picture frame back, then place to one side to dry.
This is what the third step should look like. Leave a millimetre around the edges of the picture frame back if you like. This will help if you have to trim rough edges off the fabric – for example.
4. We’re now going to work with the cardboard you removed from the inside of the picture frame. If your old picture frame doesn’t have one, you can easily make one from stiff paper or thin cardboard. Just measure the back of the picture frame and cut the piece of cardboard/paper the same size. Otherwise, if you’re brave enough, just use the back of old picture for this step.
Take this cardboard and measure out two squares. (Squares or rectangles look better than other shapes because most picture frames are square or rectangle. Keeping within the same shapes looks good in interior design.) Follow what I’ve done in the picture below. Remember to leave the edges of the cardboard intact! I’ve also left the middle intact for an optional step.
Optional step in making fabric picture
Use a colour pencil to draw a suitable design on the middle (where the cardboard has been left intact). You can also colour around, or design the edges of the squares if you like. If you don’t wish to do this, you can leave your cardboard plain. My personal design uses the former style.
5. Clean the glass you removed from the picture frame and carefully replace it. Your fabric picture is almost complete. Replace the cardboard you’ve cut around also. Last of all, replace the back of the picture frame (where you stuck the fabric). Secure.
Your fabric picture is complete. All you need to do now is to find a suitable place to hang it. I did this twice and created two pictures out of plain pictures and picture frames.
If you don’t have time for this process you can always go to this page. It’s jam full of picture frames and other associated products.
If you liked this article on how to make a fabric picture, please share it on your favourite networking sites or with someone who will benefit from it. As you’re here, why not check out the other tutorials in home improvement. Also, don’t forget to watch out for the next article in our extreme home makeover series. As always, thanks for your visit to DIY projects. Now, please leave your comment.